A couple of California earthquakes, seven plane flights, one cross-country move, and far too long on the floor of the vet’s office have made this QUITE the week, if I'm being honest.
(And I always am, with you. Especially here.)
The craggle-y grip of anxiety is something that I’ve wrestled with for as long as I can remember, but for some reason my WHYs have been strong enough to drown out the wailing WHAT IFs in my brain lately.
During a time when it would be easy to feel like the world is crumbling down around me (and scrambling to brace myself in the nearest doorway), I’m trying to take stock of the things that feel firmly rooted in truth, and delight in every little blessing that comes my way.
I’m grateful for the things that have provided me with peace over the past few days:
- The smoky-rich smell of a match after it has lit my favorite tangerine candle. (If they ever come up with a fragrance for this very scent, I will buy one hundred bottles.)
- A weary tail-wag from my sick little girl when she sees us come through the door of the vet ICU.
- Chopping fresh veggies for a healthy dinner at home, after a very long time away from my sharpety-sharp knives. (Shipping them first-class, next time.)
- Messages, phone calls and offers to help from sweet friends who love our little girl *almost* as much as we do... Which is saying quite a lot!
- The merciful promise of healing prayer and a Presence that never seems to leave my side.
A sweet friend recently reminded me that thankfulness can be one of the most grounding things we can do in times of struggle, and by putting that thought into action, I’ve learned that a grateful heart provides the perfect place for peace to settle in.
Sending you my own wishes for the comforting stillness of gratitude this morning, and let’s make the rest of this week a great one, shall we?
XOXO - Jessie Pepper